Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Proteins are long chains of amino acids. Your body has thousands of different proteins that each have important jobs. Each protein has its own sequence of amino acids. The sequence makes the protein take different shapes and have different functions in your body.
You can think of amino acids like the letters of the alphabet. When you combine letters in various ways, you make different words. The same goes for amino acids — when you combine them in various ways, you make different proteins.
Your body makes hundreds of amino acids, but it can’t make nine of the amino acids you need. These are called essential amino acids. Amino acids are involved in many important roles in your body.
Benefits of Amino Acids administered via IV drips may include:
- Growing and repairing body tissue
- Producing hormones and brain chemicals (neurotransmitters)
- Providing an energy source
- Maintaining healthy skin, hair and nails
- Building muscle
- Boosting your immune system
- Sustaining a health digestive system